As if Tyler's post wasn't shameful enough... I am now a Utah resident. This was never in my life plan.
NEVER.
I don't think anyone really understands the anxiety I put myself through today. I'm listening to Bob Marley and sipping a thirty two ounce Cherry Coke. Is that any indication?
It actually started this weekend when I started studying for my big written test. Everyone told me not to worry but visions of my fifteen year old self kept flying through my mind. I took the written test three times. THREE. I cried all three times. The first two out of grief, pain, anxiety and sadness that I got all dolled up for nothing. The last time out of joy. Dramatics has always been my line of work.
So the idea of repeating this was freaking me out, plus I haven't been in drivers ed for seven-ish years now. That's a third of my life. Then there was the part where I had to change my name and get my car registered. And I don't know where the heck anything is.
In an effort to streamline the system, I made an appointment for 7:30 this morning {I know, what was I thinking?} and didn't sleep a wink. I woke up at 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, 4:30 and finally got up at 5:30 and showered. {On the bright side, I got all of Selena Gomez's tweets in real time all night long. Perf.} I kept dreaming of failing the test and crying in front of every at the Department of Licensing. I wouldn't put it past me.
This is getting long. I'll wrap it up. I cancelled the appointment, went to school, studied the manual for another hour, collected all my papers and hyperventilated. But seriously. Ty reminded me to breathe and had to do the "three deep breathes" thing. And then it was all soooo much better than I expected.
- They were nice and answered all my questions
- When I sat down to take the written test, they handed me the handbook. Open book test. All that studying for nothing!
- I didn't cry at all
- It was all in English... that sounds weird but the DMV in WA is bilingual and I was scared they would call my number in Spanish and I would miss it and have to wait for another 2 hours or something.
- I went to register Roxy {my car}, unsuccessfully BUT it will be easy to do when I go back and Margo {the lady that was helping me} was super nice.
And I get to pick out my plates. I'm having a hard time choosing... Arches or Skier.

Arches are the embodiment of Utah. Everyone recognizes the Arches. It reminds me of driving down during the summer, passing the gigantic Utah sign and honking and screaming in the car. uh, yeah. My family's weird.

But the Skier is a little subdued, a little classier I think. Like maybe I'm a classy Utahan {yuck. I'm a Utahan.} and I escape to my mountain chalet on the weekend with a couple of celebrity friends that Ty and I met on the slopes at Deer Valley. It's probably Fergie and Josh Duhamel {yes please} and we all laugh and swirl our sparkling cider and pretend we're in the the Swiss Alps instead.

So yeah.. moral of the story a) I'm a Utah resident, b)I'm dramatic, c)Fergie and Josh forever.


The whole I was reading this post all I could think about was our last conversation about why you have a blog. Hahaha You're right though. You are pretty darn funny.
ReplyDeleteYou know I met F & J right?
ReplyDeleteI am also a supporter of their union. They adore each other.
Sorry you are a Utahn now. I've been trying to shake it for 22 years.
I'm pretty sure I thought of them because of you. I remember being at your house while your fam was talking about F&J and how you met them at Sundance and Samantha or Cassandra was? were? wearing their beanie like an idiot because Josh did.
ReplyDeleteI know your pain! I swore to myself for years that I would never live in Utah. I cried when my MD license expired and I had to become a Utah resident. Luckily, I knew the test was open book so I wasn't wigged out. Anyway, here I am, 3 years later, still longing to leave UT and move to a place that doesn't require emission and safety testing before re-registering...every year!
ReplyDelete