Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Grajumucation

As of this Friday, December 14th, I will be officially graduated. (Yes, I still get to walk in April) BUT I have done everything that I need to do to say that I have a  Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics Education. 

ooh. Fancy. 

The last two weeks of student teaching was pure torture on account of the fact that I was burnt out on the whole not getting paid bit. The whole no-finals thing is kind of making up for that. I did have a few .. interesting moments to end that part of my life. 

1. The most awkward of them all. I had a student who really liked me. A male student who really really liked me. To the point that he noticed when I wore new clothes and complimented my hair. (This just makes him  sound gay... I'm trying to emphasize how much attention he paid me but it's not working.) Driving to school on our very last day, I told Jenepher (my teaching partner), "I hope no one tries to hug me. And by 'no one,' I mean 'Sam*'." And try he did. I dismissed the class, everyone leaves. I lean against the counter and turn my head to the back desk to talk to Jen. Then I hear, "Mrs. Gardner" extremely close to me. I turn my head and there he is, with his arms half way around me and about 8 inches from my face. In response, I gradually move my arm up, so as not to touch him (HE WAS THAT CLOSE!) and I go, "High Five!" I hope I never see him again anywhere. 

2. This one was hilarious. I misplaced my calculator which looks exactly like the school calculators so I asked all my students to check their calculators to see if it got mixed up in theirs. I approach two little guys and one of them has the same calculator. I ask him if he checked it and then remembered it was his personal calculator and had his name and phone number in it. So he holds up his calculator so his number is showing and goes, "Take a good look Mrs. Gardner." To which I respond, "Blake*! I'm a married woman!" Him and his little friend were in giggles for the next five minutes. I kid you not. Literally five minutes. I asked them if they were still laughing after those five minutes and the other one goes, "It was SOOO funny!" 

3. This one happened with the twin boys I tutor. One of them was asking me a question but wasn't wording it very well. I told him the answer depended on how he was thinking about it. He said, "Well I'm thinking about it like a 13 year old boy so how am I thinking about it?" I responded, "I have no clue. I've never been one of those." They both burst out laughing and the other twin said, "That's the second funniest thing we've heard all day!" I want to know what the first is. 

If we're to learn anything from these stories, it's that my niche in the humor department is at Junior High boy level? And that I'm happy to be graduated and a little scared of what comes next. Also, that I never got a picture of me in teacher clothes because clearly I'll be wearing sweats for the rest of my life, right Ty? 

Peace and Blessings!

*Names have been changed because I'm not really sure where these stories fall on the confidentiality spectrum. 


No comments:

Post a Comment