Kidney stones and me- we have a history.
{.. well, not exactly personally.. but we do}
Incident 1
March 1994
My dad is awakened in the middle of the night by searing pain {I don't really know, I'm just assuming. It's really just folklore at this point.} My mom calls the neighbor down the street {Cassie's mom} to come stay with us kids. I wake up to Cassie's mom at our house. She helps us get ready for school. I thought it was kinda fun. My dad had to stay in the hospital for ...? days, hours, years.. I was 5 so the details get hazy. My mom picked us up to go visit him. It was my sister's birthday and we brought her party to the hospital. By party, I mean our family. Sorry if I just killed your visions of pinatas strung up in the hospital stair wells. {I just thought of Grey's and stairwells...}We opened Jessica's presents. She got a Pound Pony. It was kinda like a Pound Puppy but it was huge and it had velcro on the stomach and when you opened it there were babies inside. Baby ponies. I was insanely jealous. That's about all I can remember.
Incident 2
January 2011
We've been married for almost a month now. We were at my In-laws house doing laundry. Ty tells me he doesn't feel well so I tell him to lay down. He lays down for a few minutes and then comes back and hugs me. I realize he's shaking and then he kind of collapses on me and tells me he doesn't feel well. I start to panic a little {a lot} We call in his dad. I start crying. Fast Forward. Hubs is slightly delirious with pain. We go to the ER where they give him two shots in the booty. He gets a CT scan, a nice drug cocktail and they send us home with strainers. {If you don't understand, go ask your mom.} For the next 48ish hour, he is either completely stoned from the pain killers, writhing in pain, or throwing up all his guts. I'm pushing liquids harder than a drug dealer low on cash. The stone passes and my husband exclaims, "It's a boy!"
Incident 3
May 2011
Last Monday: I go to the doctor for a few reasons. After a few tests the doctor tells me I have kidney stones and we'll have to do a CT. Of course, I'm a little alarmed. All I know about kidney stones is from my precious experiences: pain. hopsitals. pain. IV's. pain. Did I mention pain? And what about the part where I drink SO MUCH WATER. And I don't drink soda. So that first day, I was in a moderate amount of pain. And since then I've been just fine, minus the part where I'm drowning myself with all that water. I have had minor pain off and on and I have been woken up in the night from the pain but I have not passed the stone. It's killing me. Not physically killing me. I'm an impatient person so it's killing me that way. I have plans. I don't have time for this. I don't have time to go to the bathroom four times in one hour {true story}. Especially when I work 5 hour shifts. That's 20 bathroom breaks {that hasn't happened so not a true story}.
Also, since my pain has been so mild, I'm getting a little anxious that I'll be in the middle of something awesome {dance moves... basically just dance moves} or somewhere where screaming a string of curse words will be inappropriate {sacrament meeting, teaching Marriage & Family... basically anything involving church} and then BAM the pain will hit me like a 2 by 4 between the eyes. I'll be throwing up and doubled over and begging for relief, praying to have never been born.
So, on to the cranberry juice I guess. I've heard it's a cure-all.
Here's to wishing.
{.. well, not exactly personally.. but we do}
Incident 1
March 1994
My dad is awakened in the middle of the night by searing pain {I don't really know, I'm just assuming. It's really just folklore at this point.} My mom calls the neighbor down the street {Cassie's mom} to come stay with us kids. I wake up to Cassie's mom at our house. She helps us get ready for school. I thought it was kinda fun. My dad had to stay in the hospital for ...? days, hours, years.. I was 5 so the details get hazy. My mom picked us up to go visit him. It was my sister's birthday and we brought her party to the hospital. By party, I mean our family. Sorry if I just killed your visions of pinatas strung up in the hospital stair wells. {I just thought of Grey's and stairwells...}We opened Jessica's presents. She got a Pound Pony. It was kinda like a Pound Puppy but it was huge and it had velcro on the stomach and when you opened it there were babies inside. Baby ponies. I was insanely jealous. That's about all I can remember.
Incident 2
January 2011
We've been married for almost a month now. We were at my In-laws house doing laundry. Ty tells me he doesn't feel well so I tell him to lay down. He lays down for a few minutes and then comes back and hugs me. I realize he's shaking and then he kind of collapses on me and tells me he doesn't feel well. I start to panic a little {a lot} We call in his dad. I start crying. Fast Forward. Hubs is slightly delirious with pain. We go to the ER where they give him two shots in the booty. He gets a CT scan, a nice drug cocktail and they send us home with strainers. {If you don't understand, go ask your mom.} For the next 48ish hour, he is either completely stoned from the pain killers, writhing in pain, or throwing up all his guts. I'm pushing liquids harder than a drug dealer low on cash. The stone passes and my husband exclaims, "It's a boy!"
Incident 3
May 2011
Last Monday: I go to the doctor for a few reasons. After a few tests the doctor tells me I have kidney stones and we'll have to do a CT. Of course, I'm a little alarmed. All I know about kidney stones is from my precious experiences: pain. hopsitals. pain. IV's. pain. Did I mention pain? And what about the part where I drink SO MUCH WATER. And I don't drink soda. So that first day, I was in a moderate amount of pain. And since then I've been just fine, minus the part where I'm drowning myself with all that water. I have had minor pain off and on and I have been woken up in the night from the pain but I have not passed the stone. It's killing me. Not physically killing me. I'm an impatient person so it's killing me that way. I have plans. I don't have time for this. I don't have time to go to the bathroom four times in one hour {true story}. Especially when I work 5 hour shifts. That's 20 bathroom breaks {that hasn't happened so not a true story}.
Also, since my pain has been so mild, I'm getting a little anxious that I'll be in the middle of something awesome {dance moves... basically just dance moves} or somewhere where screaming a string of curse words will be inappropriate {sacrament meeting, teaching Marriage & Family... basically anything involving church} and then BAM the pain will hit me like a 2 by 4 between the eyes. I'll be throwing up and doubled over and begging for relief, praying to have never been born.
So, on to the cranberry juice I guess. I've heard it's a cure-all.
Here's to wishing.


No comments:
Post a Comment